Abdul-Mumin asked: How can I eliminate urine smell from a urinal in a pub? I operate a pub in downtown, and the Gents urinal stinks so badly. I’m looking for a way to eliminate the strong urine stench. Any help or advice?
Urine smells can’t be covered, so the only solution is to dig in and remove all traces of urine from the urinals. The trick is to use an enzyme-based cleaner and a disinfectant, but also to look beyond the urinals to other areas in the room that might hold the smell, including cracks in the walls, floors, or plumbing.
You Will Need:
- Cleaning gloves
- Extra strength disinfectant
- Enzyme-based cleaner
Steps to Remove the Odor:
- Spray urinals (and surrounding areas if needed) with DepHyze Ultra Clean Disinfectant or another extra-strength disinfectant. (Regular household disinfectants will work, although probably not as effectively).
- Wait several moments, then wipe urinals down with a clean damp sponge. (Plan to rinse it frequently).
- Spray with an enzyme-based odor eliminator, such as Biokleen Bac-Out Foaming Eliminator or Nature’s Miracle Urine Destroyer. Enzyme-based cleaners are designed to get rid of urine smells. They can be found on the pet aisle of most supermarkets.
- Allow the foam to sit for several minutes, then wipe clean with the sponge.
- Go back over clean urinals and look for possible problem spots. Use an old toothbrush to scrub the odor eliminator into any cracks, crevices, or hard to reach areas. In particular, be sure to scrub or wipe under the rin and around the outside of the bowl.
- Check the plumbing and floors for other hidden sources of the odors and clean those as well.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Consider investing in a urinal mat for a hands-off solution to keep the floor under and around a urinal clean and prevent or eliminate odors.
- The only way to remove the odor is to keep the urinal clean. Air fresheners don’t stand much of a chance against urine.
- Don’t forget to check the drains. Gunk in pipes can hold the urine smell, so use a foaming drain cleaner or rinse drains with vinegar and water to help eliminate odors. (Do not mix chemicals in the drain.)
The best way to remove all the calcium buildup (aka hardened urine) inside the p-trap and the drain lines is to use Javelin Urinal Drain Treatment. One bottle will dissolve the calcium and fully unblock the urinal, usually within an hour.
I’ve tried numerous methods and found out the best way is to use Javelin Urinal Drain Treatment. It actually gets rid of the uric acid/salt build-up, not just disguises it like a lot of other so-called urinal cleaners. It also helps prevent future uric salt build-up.
Thank you for all the work you are doing. If I put in extractor fans, would that work to prevent the smell from urinals?
Yes, an extractor fan can help to remove the smell. However, the fans need to be used properly in order to do so. For example, the fan should be turned on when you enter the bathroom and allowed to run for awhile after you exit. Also, the door to the bathroom should remain open after you leave to provide fresh air for the fans. You also would need to make sure that you got a strong fan and keep it clean (dust-free). Keep in mind though that extractor fans are often very noisy. Also, if you decide to install a fan, locating it as close to the urinals as possible will help it to be more effective.
Source: Networx – We Tested It: Ways to Cut Bathroom Smells
Source: Freshen Up Your Home – The Truth About Your Bathroom Ventilation Fan
Where can I find Javelin urinal drain treatment?
That Javelin product appears to only be sold in Canada or through a Canadian website.