R.R. asked: How do I remove water stains from fabric blinds? I have 100% polyester, fabric, Roman blinds in a four seasons room. There must have been a slow leak in the ceiling or window frame. I have water stains and marks on the fabric. The edges of the water stains are brownish. What do I use to get these out? Thank you.
Removing water stains can be difficult. The minerals in the water that make the stains can be tricky to remove. The key is to remove the stains and dry the piece quickly before another water line is created. Here is what you need to know.
You Will Need:
- Small bucket
- Soft cloths
- Fans or blow dryer
Steps to Remove the Water Stain:
- Begin by mixing one part bleach with four parts water. For dark colored blinds, mix one part bleach with 10 parts water.
- Moisten a sponge with the bleach mixture.
- Blot it onto the water stain line.
- You want to moisten the line, but not saturate it. You don’t want the fabric to be dripping.
- Use a dry sponge or soft cloth to blot away any excess moisture.
- If a wet dry vac is available, use that to remove as much water as possible.
- Allow the piece to air dry completely.
- The drying process can be sped up with a fan or hair dryer. The sooner the bleach dries, the sooner it will be neutralized so it does not affect the color of the blinds.
- Once the piece is dry, check it over and repeat if necessary.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Always spot test the blinds first to ensure there are no adverse effects to the color or texture of the fabric.
- If the water marks are caused from minerals in the water, use the vinegar cleaning method described below.
- These cleaning methods are safe for most surfaces, but it’s always best to do a spot test first.
- For a mild cleaning, mix some vinegar or laundry detergent with water. Scrub the stain line with the mixture. Rinse with clean water and allow it to dry.
- Do not let the piece sit moist for too long or it could cause another water line.
- The battens in some blinds can be removed, allowing them to be washed. If the blinds can be machine washed, pre-treat the stains and wash them on the gentle cycle. Remove and hang them to dry. Iron if necessary.
How do I clean a rain water mark from a cream lampshade?
This is the article that you need: How to Remove Water Marks from a Fabric Lampshade.
My camper had a water leak; now the fabric on the walls has brown water stains about five inches up from the bed base. I used CLR on the most recent stains and seem to have removed those; however, some were older and really dark and the CLR did not remove those. I was wondering about bleach. The walls feel like fabric with possibly a light foam backing. Any help would be awesome.