The skin on your hands can really take a beating when it’s exposed to all of the chemicals used to remove dirt and grime. Fortunately there are a variety of rubber gloves available to protect your hands and still keep your house sparkling clean.
Types of Cleaning Gloves
- Disposable gloves are thin gloves that are typically made from latex, polyethylene or nitrile. They are available in one size and stretch easily to fit large or small hands. They are the same types of gloves that are worn by those in the medical professions. Though not sterile, latex gloves are available at most stores in the paint section. They are convenient for quick cleaning jobs. For acidic, harsher cleaning products, ensure the gloves are thick enough that they can withstand the product. In these cases, cleaning gloves may be a better choice.
- Great for:
- General cleaning projects
- Cleaning small items
- Scrubbing small crevices and spaces
- Cleaning with mild cleaning products
- Cleaning toilets
All Purpose Cleaning Gloves/Rubber Gloves
- These gloves are often made of a thicker latex or rubber and are textured on the fingers and/or palms for additional grip. Much longer than regular gloves, they typically reach up to the elbows to offer maximum protection. They range in price and cost between $2 – $10 and are available wherever cleaning supplies are sold with additional options online.
- Great for:
- Cleaning with harsh chemicals (oven cleaners, paint strippers, concentrated bleach, etc.)
- Cleaning in tubs or buckets of water
- Washing dishes
- General Cleaning
Going Green with Gloves
For those of you who want to avoid the harsh chemicals and their dangers altogether, there are gloves available from Enjo that remove the need for chemicals. These gloves have been tested by some of the top consumer panels and found to be effective in cleaning without chemicals. They are made from a special microfiber composition that only requires water to work. There are gloves available for the kitchen, bath, dusting, etc. Check out their site for ordering information.