Carrie asked: The screen of my Blackberry gets so dirty between typing and talking on the phone. I’m afraid that harsh cleaners will ruin it. Please help!
Blackberry screens can become soiled quickly with fingerprints from constant touching and sweat and oils from your face that collect on the screen as you talk on the phone. Cleaning products are limited because liquids can easily damage these sensitive screens. Using the right cloth is essential to keep from covering the screen with tiny scratches, making it look dull and filmy. Use these guidelines to get your blackberry screen bright and clean again.
You Will Need:
- Microfiber cloth (available where eyeglasses or sunglasses are sold)
- Lens cleaning wipes (optional)
- Isopropyl alcohol
Steps to Clean the Screen:
- Microfiber cloths are available everywhere that glasses are sold and make great cleaning cloths for the Blackberry. Use them to wipe away dirt and fingerprints.
- If there is a layer of dirt and oil, as often happens when your face is pressed up against it as you talk on the phone, it may be safe to use a lens cleaning wipe. These wipes are slightly moist, so take great care to keep the moisture away from the seams of the phone. If the moisture gets in the seams, it can seep under the cover and distort the picture on the screen. If you don’t have a lens cleaning wipe, you can try using a few drops of isopropyl alcohol on the microfiber cloth instead.
- Do NOT spray any liquids onto the screen as this excessive moisture will surely lead to damage.
- Wipe any moisture immediately away with the microfiber cloth.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Adhesive screen protectors are available from many different companies and can help keep the screen free from scratches and damage. Simply cut them to size and stick them on. When they become damaged or dirty, peel them off and replace with a new one.
- To quickly remove smudges and dirt, use a piece of scotch tape. Simply press it on the screen and peel it off. The dirt will stick to the tape and be removed from the screen. The recommended tape for this is the blue box as it has the least chance of leaving a sticky residue.
- Do NOT use Windex to clean the screen, it will cause damage.
- Avoid using tissues, paper towels or your shirt/pants to clean your Blackberry. These will cause fine scratches over time that will leave you with a dull or filmy look on the screen.
- If there seems to be a film on the screen that won’t come off, it may be that the screen has become covered with fine scratches. One product that some have found helpful to remove the scratches is Meguiars Plastx Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish (found in the auto section).