Dust can lead to all kinds of problems inside your computer. If it’s been several months (or maybe even years) since you’ve cleaned your computer, or the fan is starting to run much louder, it’s time for a thorough cleaning.
You Will Need:
- Compressed Air
- Storage for backing up files
Steps to Remove the Dust:
- Before completing any cleaning method on your computer, it is important to back up all of your files. Even though this is unlikely to cause any damage, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
- Shut down the computer and unplug all of the cords from it. Take it outside or in an area that is well ventilated. When we get further into this process, the dust will start flying.
- Check your owner’s manual for the proper step to open your computer. Most only require a few screws for the cover to come off.
- Use the can of compressed air to remove any dust from inside. Be sure to get the corners and crevices as well. Hold the can upright while spraying.
- Do not direct the compressed air at the fan. It can cause it to turn faster than it’s supposed to which can lead to damage. If you are skilled enough, remove the fan and clean it with a damp cloth. If that is too difficult, use a pencil or skewer stick to keep the fan from spinning while you use the air to blow the dust off.
- Be sure to clean the grill on the cover as well.
- Once the dust is removed, replace the cover and close up the case
- Reattach all of the removed cords, and your computer is clean and ready to use.
Additional Tips and Advice
- This guide offers simple ways to remove dust from your computer without disassembling it. If you computer needs a more thorough cleaning, contact a professional.
- If your computer fan is running louder than usual, it can be a sign that dust build up is becoming a problem.
- Computers in homes with smokers and/or pets will need to be cleaned more frequently.
- Although vacuums seem like an easy way to remove dust, they are not recommended. The static that is created from the vacuum can be damaging to the internal computer parts.