Colleen asked, “Does anyone know the proper way to clean fake fur?”
Faux fur is usually made of a modacrylic, which is extremely heat sensitive.¹ Select one of the steps below to keep your fur looking and feeling clean.
You Will Need:
- Mild detergent
- A home dry cleaning kit
Steps to Clean the Fur:
- Most fake fur is washable. If possible, turn the garment inside-out before washing, as it can pill.² Wash it on the gentlest cycle of the washing machine with cold water and mild detergent, or hand wash the fur. Allow the fur to air dry or tumble in the dryer with NO HEAT.¹
- If it cannot be washed, it has likely been treated with a finish that is water-soluble and if washed, would leave the fur feeling harsh or coarse to the touch.³ Dry clean the fur according to the directions on the package of your selected dry cleaning kit or take it to a professional dry cleaner.
- An alternative to dry cleaning solvents is to use cornmeal or bran. Sprinkle the powder onto the fur and use a stiff brush to work the powder into the fur. Allow the powder to sit overnight to absorb any dirt or oils, then shake out and thoroughly brush the fur to remove the powder.⁴
Additional Tips and Advice
- Do not iron faux fur, as it cannot tolerate the heat.¹ If the fur seems wrinkled, use several heavy books to flatten the garment instead.
- The Cleaning Encyclopedia by Don Aslett
- How to Clean Practically Anything by Consumer Reports
- Home Comforts: The Art & Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson
- The Super Stain Remover Book by Jack Cassimatis
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods