Tina asked: I washed my chenille blanket with other clothes, and it shed all over everything! How do I get the shed off of everything?
Chenille, along with towels, flannels and sweatshirts, are known as “lint givers.” This means they commonly release moderate to high levels of lint during the wash cycle. Removing this lint from other laundry can be a challenge, but in most cases, there is no permanent damage. Here are some steps to get the other laundry items back to normal.
You Will Need:
- Cold water
- Washing machine
- Lint roller, shaver or brush
- Wide tape
- Dryer sheets
Steps to Remove the Lint:
- Start by taking each piece and giving it a good shake. This will shake loose some of the lint.
- The best way to remove the lint is by running it back through the washing machine and allowing the agitation of the water to do some of the work for you. Fill the machine with cold water and return the other pieces of laundry inside. Do NOT put the shedding garment back in with this load.
- Do NOT add laundry detergent.
- Run a normal cycle.
- Once finished, dry as normal, either line drying or machine drying. If the pieces can be machine dried, the dryer will remove additional lint. Dryer sheets can be added to reduce the amount of static that helps the lint stick to clothing.
- After the pieces are dry, remove them and give them another good shaking.
- Any remaining lint can be removed with a lint roller, brush or shaver.
Additional Tips and Advice
- In the future, wash the chenille blanket by itself as it will continue to shed during future washings. If the item is small, add some old towels or old jeans to make the load larger.
- Wipe out the interior of your washing machine after washing your chenille items. There will likely be a layer of lint. If it is not removed, it will be transferred to the next load of laundry.
- Be extra careful when washing “lint takers.” Items such as corduroy, permanent press clothes and velvet attract lint and she not be washed with items that tend to shed their lint.
- Wide tape also works well as a lint remover. Simply wrap it around your hand so that the sticky side is facing outward. Press it on the fabric and peel away. The lint will stick to the tape.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods