Karen asked: I have a daughter who is in the process of being toilet trained. While she is very good, she sometimes has accidents, and I rinse her underwear and put it into the washing machine. I was wondering what advice you can give to clean the machine to ensure that the urine and feces (especially the feces) are not going onto the other clothes. Thanks so much.
The washing machine alone might not be enough to properly clean and sanitize after a potty training accident. To ensure the mess doesn’t spread to the rest of the laundry, try these tips for cleaning and disinfecting the whole family will appreciate.
You Will Need:
- Clean toilet
- Color safe bleach
- Hot water
- Laundry detergent
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- First, swish the soiled underwear around in a clean toilet. Then hang on to it and flush. The current will wash away most of the fecal matter.
- Next, fill the sink with hot water.
- Add a small amount of laundry detergent and approximately 1 tbsp. of bleach per gallon of water.
- Hand wash the soiled undergarment in the sink.
- Rinse well with plain water.
- Hang the clothing to dry so it doesn’t mildew.
- Wash the sink and disinfect with bleach.
- Add it to the next load of laundry and launder as usual.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If desired, add OxiClean to the wash in addition to the detergent.
- Do not overload the washing machine. The bigger the load, the larger the chance of clothing not rinsing clean.
- Always wash your hands after handling dirty or wet laundry.
- To disinfect the washing machine, run an empty cycle with bleach.