Eileen asked: How do I clean quartz kitchen sinks? In redoing our kitchen, we opted for quartz countertops and sink. The tops are no problem. They are glossy and easy to clean. The sink, however, has a matte finish and absorbs everything. We have tried soft cleansers, but it never looks clean.
Routine cleaning with a mild detergent should keep your quartz sink in top condition, but for those times when you need a deeper, more thorough clean, you can’t beat this method. It’s ideal for removing film and build-up that may be left by regular cleaning and will leave your sink gleaming.
You Will Need:
- Bar Keepers Friend
- Nylon brush
Steps to Clean the Sink:
- Moisten the surfaces to be cleaned. A spray nozzle works well for this.
- Sprinkle Bar Keepers Friend powder over the damp surfaces.
- Scrub the surfaces with a nylon brush. Add more water if needed to keep the cleaner from drying on the surface of the sink.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water. Use a soft cloth or the nylon brush to wipe away any residue as you are rinsing.
- Dry with a towel.
- Repeat if needed until all of the stains are removed.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If your sink has a white residue on it after each use, that is cause by hard water. This problem can be fixed in a variety of ways: installing a home water softener, installing a water filter on the faucet and using the filtered water for the final rinse, installing a distilled water faucet on the sink and using the distilled water to rinse, spraying down the sink after each use with distilled water, or drying the sink thoroughly after each use.
- If preferred, white vinegar can be used to clean the sink or the dishes in it. Put one part vinegar and two parts water in a spray bottle and use as needed.
- Never use strong alkalis such as ammonia or caustic soda solutions to clean quartz. You should also avoid use of drain unclogging chemicals which require you to fill the sink while they work.
- Don’t clean with harsh abrasive powders or pads. The scratches they leave behind will make your sink more susceptible to stains.
- Clean the sink regularly with a mild detergent (or as recommended by the manufacturer). Wipe smooth surfaces with a clean cloth, and use a nylon brush in the textured areas.
- Bar Keepers Friend is available at most major supermarkets and hardware stores, as well as online. For this purpose, it is best to use the powdered version.