As the main place to clean things that are dirty and germy, your sink can quickly become the home of what some would consider science experiments. Thorough cleanings are not only necessary to keep your sink looking great, but to keep it free of bacteria as well. Once you’ve given you sink a thorough cleaning with these steps, maintaining it will be a snap.
You Will Need:
- Baking soda
- Vinegar or lemon juice
- Soft cloths
- Non-abrasive scrubbing pads
- All purpose cleaner (ensure it’s safe for your sink surface)
Steps to Clean the Sink:
- Start by removing everything from the sink.
- If there is a large amount of stuck on dirt in the sink, start by plugging the drain and filling the sink with hot water.
- Allow the hot water to sit in the sink for one hour. This will loosen the stuck on dirt.
- Empty the water and get ready to scrub.
- Apply a layer of baking soda to the side of the sink. It is easiest to work one side at a time.
- Scrub the surface with the baking soda and a wet scrubbing pad. The baking soda works as a mild abrasive scrubber.
- Add vinegar to the baking soda and continue scrubbing.
- Rinse the sink completely with clean water.
- If there are any stained areas that remain, clean them with an all purpose clean that is safe for your sink surface.
- Want your sink to really shine? Apply a small amount of oil to a soft cloth and buff the surface. It takes some elbow grease, but the results are great.
Additional Tips and Advice
- As with any cleaning process, educate yourself on what items are safe for the material your sink is made of. Always check the labels before using commercial products to ensure they will not damage the sink’s surface over time.
- Bleach is a great disinfectant, but can corrode stainless steel sinks. Use with caution.
- It is safe to let the vinegar and baking soda drain away. It can even freshen up drains and remove odors.
- Maintain your newly cleaned sink by wiping it down daily with a clean cloth. Kitchen sinks may require more frequent light cleanings to keep it clean.. Use this deep cleaning once every few weeks to keep away stains and odors.