Cat asked, “How do I clean up cracked egg on the floor?”
An egg hit the floor and you discovered that cleaning it up is a rather comedic endeavor. The consistency of an egg makes it difficult to pick up; instead, the best method is to soak it up. The two quick tricks below you can turn your kitchen comedy into a simple success. (Be sure to see the Additional Tips section for the second trick, especially if you’ve dropped multiple eggs!)
Cleaning the Cracked Egg
You Will Need:
- Paper towels
- A plastic spatula
- A dustpan
- A sanitizing cleaner
Steps to Clean Up the Egg:
- Pick up the large pieces of shell if there are any.
- Sprinkle about a handful of salt onto the spilled egg.¹
- Let the salt soak up the egg for about 10 minutes.¹
- Use a paper towel or spatula to scoop up the egg or to push it into a dustpan. ²
- Sanitize any area that touched the raw egg, such as the floor or dust pan, with a disinfectant that is safe for the surface.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Another great idea is to soak the egg up with a slice of bread. The bread acts an absorbent the same way the salt does. This great idea is recommended by Katie Ferguson on Instagram (her account has unfortunately been deleted), which she shared after using it for her three egg-tastrophy. That many eggs would have required a LOT of salt, so using bread was a great choice! Thanks for letting us share this tip Katie!
- Do not use silver cutlery when working with (or cleaning up) raw eggs, as the egg can stain the utensil black. If this happens, use salt to remove the stain.³
- Classic Household Hints by Susan Waggoner
- Haley’s Hints by Graham and Rosemary Haley
- 10,000 Hints and Tips for the Home by Reader’s Digest
That’s a well-thought-out answer to a challenging question.