Otto asked: How do I clean the keys on a Logitech Harmony One? How can I open up the Logitech Harmony One remote control so that I can clean around the keys that are stuck with jelly?
With their constant use, it is not uncommon for the buttons on the remote control to become sticky with dirt, dust and food debris. The Logitech Harmony One is delicate and can easily become damaged if opened. We recommend that you clean the exterior as well as possible. If further cleaning is required, contact a professional to have it serviced.
While there are sites that offer instructions on dismantling the remote for cleaning, we have found this to be an unsuccessful cleaning routine. Unlike other remotes, this remote is fragile and was not designed to be taken apart. While some may have been able to put it back together, it often results in the screen not functioning, and it is also very difficult to re-attach the rubber grip without it looking horrible. Not only will taking the remote apart void any warranty, it will likely damage the device.
You Will Need:
- Rubbing alcohol
- Cotton swabs
- Lint-free cloth
Steps to Clean the Remote:
- First, remove the batteries from the remote and set them to the side. We don’t want any power running through the device while cleaning.
- Most gunk builds up around the buttons and in the seam between the two halves of the remote, so we’ll tackle that first.
- Take a toothpick and carefully scrape the edges around the buttons and along the seam to remove as much dirt and dust build up as possible.
- For sticky areas or really dirty areas, rubbing alcohol can be used.
- Dip a cotton swab in the rubbing alcohol and remove any excess liquid.
- Use the damp cotton swab to wipe around the buttons and along the seam. Switch to a fresh cotton swab as needed.
- Clean the back of the remote the same way, using a cloth instead of a swab if preferred.
- Once all of the dirt is removed, use a lint-free cloth to wipe down the entire case.
- Avoid adding moisture to the entire case as it can seep inside and cause damage.
- Brush away any dust or pieces of dirt that were removed from the buttons and wipe away any build up from the plastic.
- Use the lint-free cloth to clean the screen as well.
- Ensure there is no moisture in the remote from the rubbing alcohol before reinstalling the batteries.
- Once finished, reinstall the batteries and enjoy your clean remote.