Patricia asked: How do I remove Hobbytex paint from my car without taking the car paint off too?
Hobbytex paints are oil based craft paints that are commonly used throughout Australia. Removing oil-based paint from another painted surface isn’t easy, as the cleaner won’t bother to distinguish the wanted and unwanted coats of paint. The following process will take a lot of patience, but if you’re careful you should be able to remove the unwanted layers without damaging the finish on the car.
You Will Need:
- Acetone (available at most hardware and home improvement stores)
- Q-tips or small paint brush
- Lint free cloths
- Car wax
Steps to Remove the Unwanted Paint:
- Using Q-tips or a small paint brush, apply a thin layer of acetone to the paint stain without getting any on your finish. Be VERY CAREFUL not to let the acetone run. It will damage your finish! Also, make sure the tip of what you’re using is small compared to your stain so you can be precise in the application of the acetone.
- Wait 5-10 minutes.
- Carefully dab at the paint stain with the lint free cloth. Do NOT rub the cloth across the finish of the car. Turn the cloth frequently to a clean surface to prevent spreading the stain.
- Repeat the process of acetone application, removing the top layer each time, until the unwanted layer of paint is gone.
- Once the paint stain is gone, wax and buff the spot on the car to restore shine and protect the finish.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Acetone works to remove paint from the top down, making layer by layer removal possible. As long as you don’t apply it directly to the car paint, you should be able to remove it without damaging the underlying paint.
- You may use mineral spirits or paint thinner in place of the acetone. The same precautions apply, as either option will remove the paint from your car just as easily as it will the Hobbytex Paint. Be sure to follow all label precautions.
- Acetone is one of the least toxic paint removers, but it’s still a good idea to use eye protection and make sure your workspace has adequate ventilation. Follow all label directions and safety precautions for use.
- Another way to prevent damage to surrounding areas is to cover them with a light-adhesive tape, such as masking tape. This will protect the other areas while you work.