Carla asked: How do I remove latex paint from wood laminate flooring? Our flooring is a laminate, and we recently had a painter come in and paint the trim. He got a few spots of interior semi-gloss latex paint on the floor. I’m not sure where to start. The directions for everyday cleaning of the floor indicate to use only water and a dust mop. Can you help?
Fortunately, latex paint is much easier to remove from most surfaces than oil-based paint. There are cleaners that will release the paint’s bond without causing damage to the floor. (You should always test a new cleaner on a small hidden area of a surface first to be sure it is safe though.) Here are the steps to remove the paint and keep the surface of your floor looking great.
You Will Need:
- Cleaning solution (choose one):
- Lift Off Latex Paint Remover
- Goo Gone
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Warm water
- Soft cloths
- Wood floor cleaner (optional)
Steps to Remove the Paint:
- Apply a small amount of one of the above cleaners onto the paint.
- Allow it to set for a minute or two.
- Wipe the paint away with a soft cloth.
- Repeat as necessary until all of the paint is removed.
- Rinse the area thoroughly with a soft cloth.
- The area can also be cleaned with a floor cleaner to remove any remaining residue.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Fresh paint can be removed with just soap and water. Wipe up with a moist cloth immediately for the easiest clean up, then wipe the area dry with a towel.
- Paint takes a couple of days to set. Once it has set, it will require additional removal methods besides water, such as the ones above.
- The Cleaning Encyclopedia by Don Aslett
- Haley’s Hints by Graham and Rosemary Haley
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Green Cleaning by Mary Findley & Linda Formichelli
Someone has varnished over my floor laminated with water-based clear varnish. How do I remove it as it started to peel?
This is the guide you need: How to Remove a Polyurethane Spill from Laminate Flooring. The mineral spirits will also work to remove varnish, and you can just use the same method across the floor working in small sections at a time. Good luck!
Source: The New York Times – How to Refinish Woodwork, Safely