Patty asked: How do I remove rancid massage oil from my white towels? I use a massage oil where the carrier oil is grapeseed oil. Still, after repeated washing and soaking in hot water, I cannot get the rancid smell out of my towels. Any advice please?
Ridding towels of a greasy or oily mess and the accompanying odor is easy. Simply try this next time you put them in the wash, and they’ll come out clean and fresh smelling every time!
You Will Need:
- Laundry detergent
- Washing machine
Steps to Remove the Odors:
- Spot treat any particularly oily or rancid areas of your towels with Citra-Solv. Spot treating is optional.
- Put the towels in the washing machine. Add your usual detergent.
- Add 1-2 oz. of Citra-Solv to the regular wash with the detergent.
- Run the washing machine through a routine cycle.
- When the load is finished, check the towels. If the smell and/or stains are still there, rewash with a higher amount of Citra-Solv.
- Do not dry the towels until the smell and/or stains are gone. The heat may set the stain and make removal more difficult.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If possible, hang the towels out to dry on a sunny, warm day. The sun acts as a natural bleaching agent and will help to freshen the towels.
- For extra whitening power, you can also use bleach. This will not remove the actual oils, so you still need to clean with a degreaser like Citra-Solv, but it will help with lingering stains.
- Citra-Solv contains no harsh or toxic chemicals, making it safe for use around pets and children.