Tina asked: How do I get smashed candy corn off of bed sheets? My friends and I had a sleepover, and we had a lot of candy. One of the candy items was candy corn. We kind of passed out without cleaning anything. Today, I found smashed candy corn on my bed sheets. How do I get it off?
Smashed candy can leave a sticky, gooey mess. Fortunately, since candy is simply composed of sugar, it can be removed with a few quick steps and a good wash. Here’s how to tackle the sticky mash.
You Will Need:
- Spray ‘n Wash or other stain pretreatment
- Laundry detergent
- Washing machine
- Small brush
- OxiClean (optional)
Steps to Remove the Candy:
- Begin by scraping off any chunks of candy from the surface of the sheets.
- Most candy has coloring added that can leave stains if left untreated.
- Spray these areas with a stain pretreatment such as Spray ‘n Wash or Shout.
- Allow the spray to set on the stains for several hours.
- If the coloring has left tough stains, scrub the areas with a small brush, such as an old toothbrush.
- Fill the washing machine with warm water and laundry detergent. OxiClean can be added to the wash cycle as another stain remover if needed.
- Add the sheets to the water and allow them to wash through a normal cycle. Once the cycle is completed, check the areas to ensure all of the candy and stains are removed. If any candy remains, repeat with a second wash cycle.
- Dry the sheets completely.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Stay near the machine while it washes. Sheets can often shift around while washing and cause the washing machine to become unbalanced.