Randi said, “I have doubled sided tape stuck on my white fridge. Most of it came off except for a couple places there is still residue. The fridge is not pourus. Help! I need to move!!”
Although tape can be removed from most surfaces, it can still leave behind some adhesive that can quickly gather dirt. The methods below are safe for both standard and stainless steel refrigerators. Choose a method to remove the residue, and continue trying new methods if needed until the surface is clean.
Removing the Tape Residue
You Will Need:
- A remover (choose one):
- White vinegar
- Oil, such as olive oil
- Peanut butter
- Baking soda
- A cloth
Steps to Remove the Tape Residue:
- To use vinegar, pour some white vinegar on a cloth and use the wet cloth to gently rub off the residue. If it doesn’t come off right away, spray some vinegar onto the residue and let it sit for up to an hour, then try rubbing off the residue again.
- To use oil, put a few drops of cooking oil or baby oil on a cloth and rub it onto the sticky residue. Use the cloth to gently wipe off the residue.
- To use peanut butter, spread the peanut butter over the residue. The layer does not need to be very thick. Allow the peanut butter to soak for at least an hour or overnight if possible, then wipe off the peanut butter and residue with a damp cloth.
- To use Windex, spray or pour a small amount onto a cloth and use the cloth to rub off the residue. If needed, spray some directly onto the residue and let it soak for an hour.
- To use baking soda, mix together some baking soda and water to make a thick paste. Rub the paste onto the adhesive with a cloth and use the cloth to rub off the adhesive. Be gentle so as not to scratch or dull the refrigerator surface.
- Once the adhesive is gone, wash the area with soapy water to remove any residue from the cleaning products.
Additional Tips and Advice
- A razor blade can be used to scrape off sticker residue after applying one of the products above, however great care would be needed to prevent damaging the refrigerator with the blade.
- There are commercial cleaners that can be helpful for removing sticky residue, such as Goo Gone or Un-Du. Read the label of your selected cleaner to ensure it is safe for your fridge surface.
- The Queen of Clean’s Complete Cleaning Guide by Linda Cobb
- Baking Soda by Vicki Lansky