Cory asked: How do I clean a silk velvet dress? There are a few small spots where the velvet is flattened, but when I run my finger over it from the back, it is perfect. How do I clean these spots?
Your silk velvet dress is quite likely dry-clean only, but there’s good news for the do-it-yourselfer. You can easily revive crushed fabric and freshen the look with this simple method that’s safe for the material in your garment.
You Will Need:
Steps to Revive the Fabric:
- Start by filling a pot half full of clean water.
- Place it on the cooktop and heat until boiling.
- Stretch the back (or inner surface) of the fabric over the steam. Be careful not to burn yourself!
- Hold it over the steam for a short moment. Once the steam has penetrated the fabric, remove it.
- Hang the garment away from direct heat and allow the piece to air dry.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Never iron velvet. This will cause the fabric to flatten permanently.
- You can also use a steam cleaner, or, in mild cases, hang the dress in the bathroom while you run a hot shower.
- If this doesn’t improve the appearance of the velvet, consult a dry cleaner.