Delores asked: How do I wash polyester clothing with stones? I see that I can wash my polyester material dress, but it has stones on it alone with embroidering. How can I keep these stones, little glass pieces, from coming off. I would assume these glass pieces are glued on. How do I need to wash it and dry it? Thank you for your help.
When it comes to fancy stones and embellishments, handwashing is the safest way to go. If the care instructions say it’s safe to machine wash and dry, then the materials are designed to withstand the movement and cleaning of a machine washer. Regardless, there are precautions you can take to ensure your piece comes out intact and still gets clean.
You Will Need:
- Large garment bag or Pillow case
- Laundry detergent
- Rubber band
Steps to Wash the Garment:
- Start by inspecting the piece carefully to check for any loose stones or weak areas on the garment.
- If all pieces are firmly intact and the embroidery shows no loose threads, it is safe to proceed.
- Place the garment in a large garment bag. If no bag is available a large pillow case will work (just place it inside and tie the end shut with a rubber band). This will keep the piece itself from becoming tangled with the agitation of the washer and damaged.
- Fill the machine with the recommended temperature of water and add the appropriate amount of laundry detergent.
- Set the washer to the gentle cycle and allow it to wash.
- When complete, remove the garment from the bag or pillowcase.
- Hang the item to dry. If the care instructions say that machine drying is okay, then toss it in the dryer and dry on a low-heat setting.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Though many garments with embellishments cannot tolerate normal washing methods, there are some that can. Check the care tags for accurate cleaning instructions.
- If the garment should be hand washed, see our guide How to Hand Wash Clothing.
Leave a reply