Jenny asked: How do you clean fuzzy blankets? You know, blankets that are really soft…without ruining them? I have this amazingly soft blanket that I will need to wash, but I am worried about ruining its softness.
Soft, fuzzy blankets are the best things to snuggle up in on a cold evening. There are a wide variety of soft blankets available and all are fairly easy to clean. Simple steps can be taken to keep your blankets soft for a long time.
How to Clean Fleece and Microfiber Fleece Blankets
Fleece blankets come in different levels of quality. Lower-quality fleece will pill and quickly loose its soft touch. Higher quality fleece blankets, often labeled “Ultra Plush” will not pill at all and remain soft. To keep your fleece blankets soft, follow these washing guidelines.
You Will Need:
- Laundry detergent
- Liquid fabric softener
- Drying rack or clothesline
- Pour the appropriate amount of laundry detergent into the washing machine for your blanket load.
- Place the blanket in the washing machine.
- Wash on the gentle cycle using cold water.
- During the rinse cycle, add the appropriate amount of liquid fabric softener.
- Hang the blanket and allow it to air-dry. This will prevent the pilling that is caused from the fabric rubbing against itself in the dryer.
How to Clean Wool Blankets
You Will Need:
- Mild laundry detergent such as Woolite
- Drying rack
*Check the care tag on your wool blanket prior to cleaning. If it is labeled as dry clean only, then do just that. If you try to wash it, it may shrink or lose its soft feel.
- First, ensure that your blanket is machine washable.
- Place it in the washing machine with a mild detergent.
- Wash on the gentle cycle with cold water.
- Stop the spin cycle after 1 minute of spinning so the blanket does not get stretched out of shape.
- Allow it to air dry by hanging on a drying rack. Never place a wool blanket in the heated dryer because it will shrink.
Additional Tips and Ideas
- Hard water can lead to rough blankets. Add softener to your water as needed to help keep your blankets and clothes soft and comfortable.
- If your blanket tends to “shed” in the washing machine, place it in a large pillow case and then put it in the washer.
- Avoid using dryer sheets on soft blankets. These leave a coating that can cause the blanket’s surface to feel rough.
- If there seems to be a coating on your blankets that make them rough, try using an extra rinse cycle to ensure all of the detergent is removed.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods