Faith asked: How do I remove chalk from a stuffed toy? I work in a store that carries a lot of Melissa and Doug toys. I had a parent bring in a lot of children, and one of them took one of our stuffed toys and erased a chalkboard with its entire body. I managed to dust most of the chalk off, but the toy is still discolored from chalk in a few obvious places. I have tried a damp rag, which helped a little, but not much. I tried spraying Windex on a rag and wiping with little effect as well.
Chalk can be difficult to remove with spot cleaning. If washing the piece is not possible, try this dry cleaning method. It will remove the chalk by lifting it to the surface so it can easily be brushed away.
You Will Need:
- Vacuum with attachments
- Chalk Off
- Soft cloths
Steps to Remove the Chalk:
- Begin by cleaning the animal with a vacuum. This will remove the loose chalk dust that may be present.
- Next, the piece can either be machine washed or cleaned with a chalk removal product. If it’s possible to wash the animal, simply place it in the washing machine in a pillow case for protection and wash it as normal.
- Chalk Off is a chalk removal product that is designed to remove chalk from pool tables. It removes chalk without adding moisture or water to the area.
- Spray it onto the affected areas.
- As it dries, it will pull the chalk to the surface.
- Wipe the lifted chalk away with a soft cloth.
- Repeat as necessary.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If you are unsure about the colorfastness of the piece, test a small area first before spraying the entire surface.