Kasey asked: How do I remove motor oil from the plastic moldings on my vehicle? Motor oil splattered all over the exterior of my vehicle, especially on the plastic moldings.
Oil stains can be nasty, but most remove quite easily with simple ingredients from home. Although your garden hose will come in handy for this project, you might have better success if you clean with hot water instead.
You Will Need:
- Dawn dish soap (or other grease-fighting dish soap)
- Hot water
- Sponge (for paint)
- Cloth scouring pad (for plastic)
- Small bucket
Steps to Remove the Stain:
- Create a soapy cleaning solution by squirting dish soap in a bucket of clean water and agitating until bubbles form. Hot water is ideal because it will help to dissolve the oil stain.
- Dip the sponge or scouring pad in the soapy water. Without wringing either one out, start working on the grease stains.
- For stubborn areas or to get tiny cracks or crevices, use the toothbrush (but not on paint).
- Change water and repeat as often as needed until the plastic molding is clean.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If you’re not having any luck with the detergent, try using a sponge and Kids N Pets Stain Remover. This product does an amazing job with stubborn grease and oil stains. Apply directly to the stains, and do not dilute. It’s safe on any water-safe surface.
- Don’t put dish soap directly on the stain. It will be difficult to remove, and the residue will attract dirt.