Window blinds are popular window coverings due to their convenience and appearance. You should clean blinds with a duster whenever you clean the house. Deep cleaning of the blinds may be done once every six months to keep them clean and durable.
The Different Kinds of Blinds
There are a few different kinds of blinds. Some knowledge about them is essential for cleaning them. Let us explore the different kinds:
- Vertical blinds: These Consist of slats made of plastic, metal or stiff fabric, hanging from a track at one end. Can allow light to pass and can also fold up to either side of the window. Also called track blinds. For cleaning tips, see “How to Clean Vertical Blinds”
- Slat blinds: Consist of many flat horizontal slats connected to a string with a rotation facility to hide light or to clear the window. The lowering or raising is done by pulling different strings attached to a connector. These can be cleaned in the same way as Venetian blinds.
- Venetian blinds: They are slatted blinds made of plastic, metal, wood, or bamboo. The slat width is usually wider in size. For cleaning tips, see “How to Clean Venetian Blinds”
- Mini blinds: These are the same as Venetian blinds, but with narrower slat width. For cleaning tips, see “How to Clean Mini Blinds”
Cleaning the Blinds
The type of cleaning your blind requires depends on the amount of dust deposited on it. If there is only a small coating of dust, a mere dusting with a moist cloth is enough. This method is very advantageous because the dust doesn’t get released into the air, it’s safe and inexpensive.
The best and the cheapest way to clean the blinds needs only some white vinegar and a cotton glove or an old sock. You can place the glove or sock on your hand and dip the fingers in a container holding vinegar. Squeeze out excess vinegar. Now you may run your fingers along both sides of the first slat to wipe out all dust. After finishing a few slats, you may remove the dust or slime from the sock, dip it in vinegar again, and go over the remaining slats.
For fabric or vinyl blinds, you may use a rubber dry sponge to remove dust.
Metal or vinyl blinds can be taken outside, and cleaned. Ensure that you secure the floor with enough towels before placing the blinds on it for cleaning to prevent any scratching. After washing the blinds carefully, you may hang them out to dry and then re-hang them on the windows.
In the case of fabric blinds, if they are extremely dirty, you can take them to a drycleaner who specializes in window treatments.
- When washing wood blinds, do not over saturate the wood. Wipe excess water off immediately to avoid discoloring and/or warping.
- It is good to vacuum blinds often with a brush attachment, but do it across the slats, not up and down.
- Whatever cleaner you use, make sure that there is no contact with the eyes and prolonged contact with the skin.
- If you wipe down the slats of the blinds with fabric softener sheets after cleaning and drying them, you can postpone the dust build-up. It will also give a fresh and pleasant smell to the blinds.
Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods