Window blinds are popular window coverings due to their convenience and appearance. You should clean blinds with a duster whenever you clean the house. Deep cleaning of the blinds may be done once every six months to keep them clean and durable.
The Different Kinds of Blinds
There are a few different kinds of blinds. Some knowledge about them is essential for cleaning them. Let us explore the different kinds:
- Vertical blinds: These Consist of slats made of plastic, metal or stiff fabric, hanging from a track at one end. Can allow light to pass and can also fold up to either side of the window. Also called track blinds. For cleaning tips, see “How to Clean Vertical Blinds”
- Slat blinds: Consist of many flat horizontal slats connected to a string with a rotation facility to hide light or to clear the window. The lowering or raising is done by pulling different strings attached to a connector. These can be cleaned in the same way as Venetian blinds.
- Venetian blinds: They are slatted blinds made of plastic, metal, wood, or bamboo. The slat width is usually wider in size. For cleaning tips, see “How to Clean Venetian Blinds”
- Mini blinds: These are the same as Venetian blinds, but with narrower slat width. For cleaning tips, see “How to Clean Mini Blinds”
Cleaning the Blinds
The type of cleaning your blind requires depends on the amount of dust deposited on it. If there is only a small coating of dust, a mere dusting with a moist cloth is enough. This method is very advantageous because the dust doesn’t get released into the air, it’s safe and inexpensive.
The best and the cheapest way to clean the blinds needs only some white vinegar and a cotton glove or an old sock. You can place the glove or sock on your hand and dip the fingers in a container holding vinegar. Squeeze out excess vinegar. Now you may run your fingers along both sides of the first slat to wipe out all dust. After finishing a few slats, you may remove the dust or slime from the sock, dip it in vinegar again, and go over the remaining slats.
For fabric or vinyl blinds, you may use a rubber dry sponge to remove dust.
Metal or vinyl blinds can be taken outside, and cleaned. Ensure that you secure the floor with enough towels before placing the blinds on it for cleaning to prevent any scratching. After washing the blinds carefully, you may hang them out to dry and then re-hang them on the windows.
In the case of fabric blinds, if they are extremely dirty, you can take them to a drycleaner who specializes in window treatments.
- When washing wood blinds, do not over saturate the wood. Wipe excess water off immediately to avoid discoloring and/or warping.
- It is good to vacuum blinds often with a brush attachment, but do it across the slats, not up and down.
- Whatever cleaner you use, make sure that there is no contact with the eyes and prolonged contact with the skin.
- If you wipe down the slats of the blinds with fabric softener sheets after cleaning and drying them, you can postpone the dust build-up. It will also give a fresh and pleasant smell to the blinds.
Gently spray your wood blinds with aerosol hairspray once a week; this repels dust. You will never have to clean them again!
I was wondering if its okay to wash blinds in bleach or is it better to use something else? Our blinds are really bad. The previous owners smoked and never washed the blinds. HELP?
I used alcohol.
From the above discussion, there is no need to think that Venetian shades lack variety, because they do not. Despite being made of metal, there is a huge variety of color, style and pattern.
Vinegar is a form of acid. Look it up you bone heads.
I took down our circa ’80 metal mini blinds and laid them on a blanket on the driveway and powerwashed them and then wiped them down with a wet rag and dish soap. I don’t think the previous owner ever cleaned them; I literally had streams of dirty water running down my drive. Then, I laid them on a tarp in a dry area to dry in the sun. It took me all afternoon to clean six blinds, but they look brand new. Well, except that they are 1980-style metal mini blinds… lol.
My metal blinds have a plastic film that is peeling. What is the best way to take off the film?
HELP!!!! HELP!!!! HELP!
I have white wooden venetian slat blinds with white cotton runners.
Can anyone please tell me how an what to clean them with? Help.
This is the article that you need: How to Clean Venetian Blinds.
Need help cleaning fabric pleated shades. They’re in good shape, but very dity from previous owner; would like to salvage them.
This article can help: How to Remove Water Stains form Fabric Blinds.
Did anyone think for one minute that vinegar is a form of acid; if your blinds are aged or have seen a lot of sun on them, they will peel very easily. Try some on the bonnet of your car, then in a couple of days, tell me how good it looks????